English for High School 9B: Perspective and Impact Through Literature
Continue to strengthen your Language Arts foundation through reading, discussing, and writing about classic literature.
- Grade Level(s): 9
- Duration: 16 Weeks
- Live Meetings: 16
Meeting Times:Tuesdays - 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM PT
English 9B is aligned with National Common Core, ISTE, and Global Competency standards and fulfill semester one requirements. Students will read literature that focuses on the things that make us most human — emotions, the need for moral order, and our ability to experience the beauty of human existence.
Real-world writing exercises may include a movie/play review or authoring a newspaper article.
- Determine a theme or central idea of a text.
- Identify how the theme emerges and is shaped by specific details.
- Develop a detailed analysis of the theme's development.
- Cite strong and thorough textual evidence and inferences.
- Provide an objective summary of the text with a conclusion that supports the argument presented.
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings.
- The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- The Tempest by Willian Shakespeare